ArcticFoxie -- MSFN Migrant

A warm welcome to our new members!
ArcticFoxie

United States of America

ArcticFoxie -- MSFN Migrant

Post by ArcticFoxie »

Greetings to EclecBoard.

I have migrated here from MSFN (it is either closing down "soon" or just trying to "scare up" donations, who knows which).

I had an MSFN account years ago as MSFN-Guest / Guest-MSFN (don't really recall but it was something like that).
Back then, my thousands-of-views thread was a process to "slim down" Adobe Reader by removing a lot of "bloat".
I tried to find it but it's been too long ago and I don't recall enough of the details to search for it.
I still use my "lite" Adobe Reader but I have not updated beyond version 9.5.5.
There are tons of "slim" and "lite" Adobe Reader options nowadays.
Mine still works for 95+ percent of PDF files I throw at it.
I'll download (then delete) portable Foxit Reader or Sumatra PDF for the < 5% that it will not open.

I suppose it could have also been over at WinCert.net (which rolled out a "multipass" subscription membership in June 2017 to cover "server costs").
Or RyanVM.net's Discussion Board (that had its own "closing down" message in October 2019 citing high number of spam posts).
I've abandoned both of them and don't recall my old username.

My most recent MSFN account was ArcticFoxie which I then changed to NotHereToPlayGames.
My project there has been a Chromium-based browser called 360Chrome.

I'm also over at The Unofficial Proxomitron Forum as ProxRocks.
Ryan
Eclectic Owner

United States of America

Re: ArcticFoxie -- MSFN Migrant

Post by Ryan »

ArcticFoxie wrote: 09 Mar 2022, 08:53 Greetings to EclecBoard.

I have migrated here from MSFN (it is either closing down "soon" or just trying to "scare up" donations, who knows which).
Seems the latter is the case here, just as I remember last time. The banner was updated to reflect new donations coming in. Regardless, I'll continue building this board up from the shadows. I treat MSFN more like a static archive more than anything anymore. I'd try and create a static mirror in the event it does indeed close down, but the amount of data there is rather overwhelming.

Welcome aboard in any event :upside_down:
(Precision 3610) Xeon 2667 V2 | 32 GB RAM | EVGA GTX 970 SC | SU650 240 GB (Vista Exkern) | 840 Pro 256 GB (Vista Ultimate/10 IoT) | 8 TB storage
(Latitude E6530) i7-3740qm | 16 GB RAM | HD 4000 | 870 EVO 500 GB (Vista Ultimate/10 IoT) |2 TB storage
ArcticFoxie

United States of America

Post by ArcticFoxie »

Ryan wrote: 09 Mar 2022, 11:37Seems the latter is the case here, just as I remember last time.
That's my guess. Hopefully this forum can strum up a large number of users. :lol:
ArcticFoxie

United States of America

Post by ArcticFoxie »

Maybe I just didn't see it, does this board have a PM option?
Ryan
Eclectic Owner

United States of America

Post by Ryan »

ArcticFoxie wrote: 09 Mar 2022, 12:05 Maybe I just didn't see it, does this board have a PM option?
Not at this time. I'm not sure how to moderate personal messages on this forum software, so I've disabled it since I don't want to be liable for any information I cannot view. There is an email contact button on forum profiles, available only to those logged in though. This isn't a perfect solution, so I'm open to any suggestions you may have.
(Precision 3610) Xeon 2667 V2 | 32 GB RAM | EVGA GTX 970 SC | SU650 240 GB (Vista Exkern) | 840 Pro 256 GB (Vista Ultimate/10 IoT) | 8 TB storage
(Latitude E6530) i7-3740qm | 16 GB RAM | HD 4000 | 870 EVO 500 GB (Vista Ultimate/10 IoT) |2 TB storage
ArcticFoxie

United States of America

Post by ArcticFoxie »

The email contact button on profiles can be hidden via profile global settings.
I have hidden mine and it appears that you have hidden yours as well.
So I'm not seeing a way to PM you.

I'll go ahead and post it here - for "project-submission" members (roytam1, feodor2, Humming Owl, ArcticFoxie, perhaps more to follow), is there a way for these types of members to selectively ban members from our own project-threads?

I don't think it would get used that often, please don't misread.
I only know that some of the MSFN members liked to "hear themself talk" and infused politics into every third or fourth post.
My fingers are crossed that the "offensive" don't land here, lol.
Ryan
Eclectic Owner

United States of America

Post by Ryan »

ArcticFoxie wrote: 09 Mar 2022, 12:27 The email contact button on profiles can be hidden via profile global settings.
I have hidden mine and it appears that you have hidden yours as well.
So I'm not seeing a way to PM you.

I'll go ahead and post it here - for "project-submission" members (roytam1, feodor2, Humming Owl, ArcticFoxie, perhaps more to follow), is there a way for these types of members to selectively ban members from our own project-threads?

I don't think it would get used that often, please don't misread.
I only know that some of the MSFN members liked to "hear themself talk" and infused politics into every third or fourth post.
My fingers are crossed that the "offensive" don't land here, lol.
Ah. Yes you're right, it seems i have hidden my email. I'll talk with Ximonite and Win32 later about setting up a messaging solution of some sort. As for your inquiry. No offense taken at all! In fact, I do agree with you. I've been trying to find a solution for making "local moderators", if you will. Thus far I haven't found a way. The forum software we use is phpbb, if thats of any help to you. I can assure you political discussion isn't going to fly here, though. Maybe one day I'll setup an opt-in via role venting subforum of sorts later, but for now that's not on my radar. I want technology discussion and threads related to any articles I may write later, none of which are of a political nature. To be blunt, this isn't MSFN and I won't allow people to run amok here like thay have been on MSFN as of late. This isn't a school cafeteria :lol:

Edit: I've enabled a contact field here on the board, you can find the link in the bottom footer or by heading here directly. You can contact admins directly that way: https://forum.eclectic4un.me/memberlist.php?mode=contactadmin

There is also a contact form on the blog side of the site. In the mean time, I'm trying to conjure up a means of giving members limited mod privs over their own project threads ;)
ArcticFoxie

United States of America

Post by ArcticFoxie »

How do I delete old "notifications"?
Ryan
Eclectic Owner

United States of America

Post by Ryan »

Those will clear with time as new notifications take precedence. You can 'mark' a notification as read to remove the red indicator. I'll investigate some extensions later to make it a bit more intuitive. For now, there are other priorities.
Ryan
Eclectic Owner

United States of America

Post by Ryan »

I believe I've worked out the forum-specific mods business. I've assigned roytam1 his own subforum for his browser platform.

Return to “Introductions”