EclecBoard: Windows 98 approved

DOS, but with a familiar GUI.
Bird

Germany

EclecBoard: Windows 98 approved

Post by Bird »

Congratulations! Your message board looks quite nice on an old Windows 98 browser, Netscape 9, wouldn't even need the TLS patch, as you keep it in HTTP. The Aero theme has some minor beauty issues, for example the dropdown menus being transparent, but there are other themes to choose from, that really make the message board look like 2005.
This forum can be browsed without Javascript. Very efficent.

I wonder why so many sites stick to this annoying Google Captcha. Also Google is evil! Maybe you have to make the spam defense checkbox quiz a little bit more complicated, because any fool will be able to differentiate between an answer and a question.

And using this in Netsurf, the little niche browser, makes a good impression too. Amiga subforum needed?

So to conclude, every computer from the last 25 years will have a good time here.
Super achievement for the EclecBoard.
Attachments
dropdown.PNG
Dropdown Menu on the Aero theme
dropdown.PNG (5.14 KiB) Viewed 12929 times
dropdown.PNG (5.14 KiB) Viewed 12929 times
Ryan
Eclectic Owner

United States of America

Re: EclecBoard: Windows 98 approved

Post by Ryan »

Welcome to the forum. Glad you like what you see ;)

Beware that the Legacy theme is a bit broken, I've had another member complain of some issues on the message/bbcode editor while using it. The theme was included primarily as a means for IE6 to render the board's content reasonably well. Any browser starting around circa Firefox 3.x will render the Maxthon theme, the more feature complete fallback theme that maintains feature parity with the default, Aero.

Aero does have some minor papercut issues with older versions of Firefox, like some transparent menus and squared edges like you've pointed out. Firefox 10 was my original target, and while it does mostly render correctly, I recommend Firefox 45 or greater for both the forum and blog side of the site. I've ensured everything works 1:1 starting with 45. Convenient, as roytam1 still maintains a 45.9 build that doesn't require SSE2.

So XP and Win2k machines from the past 2 decades can effectively browse both sites and all its contents without compromise. 9x users should have a decent time, too, provided they switch the theme to Maxthon 8-)
(Precision 3610) Xeon 2667 V2 | 32 GB RAM | EVGA GTX 970 SC | SU650 240 GB (Vista Exkern) | 840 Pro 256 GB (Vista Ultimate/10 IoT) | 8 TB storage
(Latitude E6530) i7-3740qm | 16 GB RAM | HD 4000 | 870 EVO 500 GB (Vista Ultimate/10 IoT) |2 TB storage
Bird

Germany

Post by Bird »

But it looks like there is a bug... Even when selecting the Maxthon theme, parts of this message board appear in the Aero theme. To be precise, it's the screens for threads and the sub-forums, that don't have the desired theme.
It's not cache related, I just tested this in several browsers on different computers, when being logged in. Do you see the same, when you switch the theme to Maxthon and try to post something?
Ryan
Eclectic Owner

United States of America

Post by Ryan »

This should be fixed now. Clear your cache and try visiting the affected boards.
(Precision 3610) Xeon 2667 V2 | 32 GB RAM | EVGA GTX 970 SC | SU650 240 GB (Vista Exkern) | 840 Pro 256 GB (Vista Ultimate/10 IoT) | 8 TB storage
(Latitude E6530) i7-3740qm | 16 GB RAM | HD 4000 | 870 EVO 500 GB (Vista Ultimate/10 IoT) |2 TB storage
Bird

Germany

Post by Bird »

Fixed. The full Windows 98 experience on EclecBoard is possible now with the Maxthon theme.

Return to “Windows 9x and older”