Microsoft blocking Windows 10 Media Creation tool on Windows 7?

I'm a PC®
CalmCreeper360

Russia

Microsoft blocking Windows 10 Media Creation tool on Windows 7?

Post by CalmCreeper360 »

Good evening everyone,

ive come across a very peculiar problem recently with the Windows 10 Media Creation tool, but i really dont know who to ask for advice, so im doing it here, if you dont mind.

It was last Saturday, i had to upgrade a customers laptop to Windows 10, but it was late so i decided to do it from home.
At home i didnt have a Windows 10 installation Media ready and i only had PCs with Windows 7 running.
So i went ahead and downloaded the Media Ceation Tool 22H2, but when i ran it, this error came up:

I thought maybe it was due to this new installer for 22H2, so i tried an older Media Creation tool i had sitting on a USB-Stick for 21H2, of which i 100% knew that it worked before, but this time it didnt (same error message).
After some research i found out that this error comes up if you dont have the Windows 7 TLS 1.2 update installed (KB3140245), however this was not the case for me.
I thought there was something wrong with my main PC, so tried on a Windows 7 VM and on 3 separate Windows 7 laptops, all activated, all updates installed and all drivers installed freshly, but it still wasnt working.
I thought maybe they had some problems in the servers, but a few days later the same error popped up.
When i tried on a Windows 10 laptop of a friend of mine, it worked fine without any issue.

My question is: Could it be, that they are now blocking Windows 7 users from using the tool? (and if so, is there a possible way to get around this problem?)

Thank you in advance

calm

PS: ive tried everything from restarting, to clearing up cache, deleting the "WIN-BT" folder and clearing up my registry, it just wont work on Windows 7 no matter what!

Return to “Windows 7 & Server 2008 R2”