How to properly install VMware Workstation 11 on Windows Vista

General technology discussion.
Ximonite
Kernel Extenders

United States of America

How to properly install VMware Workstation 11 on Windows Vista

Post by Ximonite »

The latest version of VMware Workstation that officially supports Windows Vista is 10.0.7, but versions up to 12.0.0 work to some degree. This guide was made for version 11.1.2 because it is the last version that is fully functional on Windows Vista. Version 12.0.0 works but has some issues.
First, you will want to install VMware Workstation 10.0.7, which can be downloaded here.

Next, you will want to replace all of the VMware Workstation 10 files with newer ones from 11.1.2. Either you can download my files, or you can install VMware Workstation 11.1.2 on another machine and get the files from there. You may also need to make a few changes in the registry, which I provide in my file archive.

Before replacing any files, stop any VMware services and end any VMware processes.

If you are using my archive, delete the existing files and copy the contents of the folders inside to these paths:
ProgramFiles - C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware
Common - C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\VMware
ProgramData - C:\ProgramData
System32 - C:\Windows\System32
drivers (inside System32 folder) - C:\Windows\System32\drivers

After replacing the files, merge the reg file in the archive to apply the necessary changes to the registry, then reboot your computer.

Once rebooted, open the Virtual Network Editor (vmnetcfg.exe) and click "Restore Defaults". This will reinstall the virtual network devices.

Now, VMware Workstation 11.1.2 should be fully working on Windows Vista. 8-)

Return to “Software & Hardware Hangout”