Why do you like/dislike Linux?

Discuss GNU/Linux, BSD, and other Unix-like systems here.
ArcticFoxie

United States of America

Re: Why do you like/dislike Linux?

Post by ArcticFoxie »

Ryan wrote: 30 Mar 2022, 02:24 I confess, my list of annoyances is rather tall. Understand they're mostly centered around the way packaging is handled, though.
Agreed. The best way I can sum up my experience with 20-some different Linux versions spanning nearly 20 years (my first toe-tip was Puppy) is this, "Linux is free only if your time is worthless."
Last edited by ArcticFoxie on 30 Mar 2022, 13:58, edited 1 time in total.
Bird

Germany

Post by Bird »

I like Linux most for it just being there as an option for my desktop computer. Some things are better on Windows, some are better on Linux. But to rely only on Windows, made by that evil company Microsoft, that would be very dangerous. That monopoly needs options, else they can do whatever they want with their customers. Even if Linux can be a pain to learn, working towards building up Linux as an option is important in my view.
ArcticFoxie

United States of America

Post by ArcticFoxie »

I agree, mostly.
Though I suspect Chrome OS and Mac are the only non-Microsoft Operating Systems on Microsoft's radar.
Microsoft, in my opinion, just LAUGHS at Linux.
"It's taken them THIRTY YEARS to get THIS far, and they have a tiny 1.7 to 2.2% of mobile/desktop market share."
Ryan
Eclectic Owner

United States of America

Post by Ryan »

Linux marketshare is surely on the rise, but it'll mostly come in the form of wallgardened and/or mobile environments like ChromeOS and Android. The latter I'm fine with, a debloated custom Android ROM is pretty nifty for the right purpose (a phone). ChromeOS I'd like to see burn in a fire though lol. That locked down pseudo-desktop crap.
(Precision 3610) Xeon 2667 V2 | 32 GB RAM | EVGA GTX 970 SC | SU650 240 GB (Vista Exkern) | 840 Pro 256 GB (Vista Ultimate/10 IoT) | 8 TB storage
(Latitude E6530) i7-3740qm | 16 GB RAM | HD 4000 | 870 EVO 500 GB (Vista Ultimate/10 IoT) |2 TB storage
ArcticFoxie

United States of America

Post by ArcticFoxie »

Agreed. Not really a fan of ChromeOS. Is fun as a "hobbyist" OS (which in my opinion is all Linux really is, a "hobbyist" OS).
But I look at what Linux has **NOT** been able to achieve in 30+ years then I see what ChromeOS **HAS** been able to achieve in 11 years.
"You do the math." :)
Humming Owl

Venezuela

Post by Humming Owl »

Even if Linux can be a pain to learn, working towards building up Linux as an option is important in my view.
I agree with this.
But I look at what Linux has **NOT** been able to achieve in 30+ years then I see what ChromeOS **HAS** been able to achieve in 11 years.
Linux intention isn't commercial, they didn't do propaganda such as MS, Apple and Google (with Android). Propaganda is only needed when you are targeting many people, that is one reason why Linux lacks of too much desktop market share, it focuses on universality rather than the complex taste of a single user. Just look at some of the applications Linux has, you don't have to search too much.

In my logic, the fact that not so many people use it/care about it, is just a huge reason for using it :lol:
Trev-MUN

United States of America

Post by Trev-MUN »

ArcticFoxie wrote: 30 Mar 2022, 14:05 I agree, mostly.
Though I suspect Chrome OS and Mac are the only non-Microsoft Operating Systems on Microsoft's radar.
Microsoft, in my opinion, just LAUGHS at Linux.
"It's taken them THIRTY YEARS to get THIS far, and they have a tiny 1.7 to 2.2% of mobile/desktop market share."
It seems that Linux has a much stronger showing when it comes to data center/enterprise/server-related stuff. I had a hunch that was the case but I tried to verify whether or not that's true.

W3Techs says that 80% of websites that are either in the Alexa top 10 million or in the Tranco top 1 million list are run on a Unix-derived server. When you drill down, it turns out 47% of that number are Linux distros. (The other 52.8% are unknown.) Another site in 2015, W3Cook, reported that of the top one million Alexa domains, 41.1% are run by some kind of Linux server, but specific distros have an additional market share of their own: Ubuntu 20.6%, Debian 14%, Fedora 1.7%, CentOS 19.7%. If you add all that up, it looks like about 97.1% of the top one million demands are hosted by some Linux distro.

I couldn't find a good source but apparently Linux also takes the lion's share of supercomputers and cloud computing networks.
Gravarty

Germany

Post by Gravarty »

I started liking Linux after Microsoft released Windows 11. I tried it out and liked the new design, but the way Microsoft destroyed the OG control panel and other applications like MS Paint and Notepad, replacing them with Metro alternatives, left me no choice but to look for alternatives. I had to get used to Linux, and I really didn't want to use an bloated distro (like Ubuntu and other distros), so I actually had to learn how to install Arch Linux, and ended up with KDE. The KDE desktop is just fantastic, it has everything I missed about classic Windows. It is highly customizable and doesn't try to be a "mobile first" desktop UI. Arch Linux's package manager, pacman, is also very easy to use and if you install yay with it, you basically have winget on Linux, just miles better. It's now the 5th month without using Windows as my main OS once and didn't have any problems since...

(..but I'd install Windows Vista in a heartbeat if it ran on newer hardware and the extended kernel was good enough to run all my needed applications :D)

-

... oh god, after checking my text for typos, I realized that this all sounds like a cheap sponsored review :D
Win10-Hater

India

Post by Win10-Hater »

Gravarty wrote: 13 May 2022, 17:07 I started liking Linux after Microsoft released Windows 11.
Indeed, Windows 11 brings you closer to what you love: Linux.

Return to “Linux/BSD”