Windows Vista on the Intel Alder Lake Platform

The WOW starts now™
WinClient5270
Supervisors

United States of America

Windows Vista on the Intel Alder Lake Platform

Post by WinClient5270 »

My partner and I just built an Alder Lake system. I installed Windows Vista Ultimate x64 SP2 with the Extended Kernel and it works great! There are absolutely no drift-like behavior as seen on Haswell (4th gen) thru Tiger Lake (11th gen). Here's a screenshot:

Just like Windows 7, the processor cores do not show up in Device Manager, however it is recognized in System Properties. Ethernet drivers are also currently unavailable, however since I am friends with win32 and speak to him on a regular basis, I asked him if he could possibly get the ethernet drivers working. He said he would have to add functions to NDIS & ntoskrnl, but he could do it at a later time. Right now, I use USB wifi which works fine but I could just install a Vista-compatible PCI ethernet card if I wanted to.

Specs:

Asrock Z690 PG Riptide Motherboard

Intel Core i7 12700KF

32 GB RAM

NVIDIA GeForce 980ti GPU w/modded 398.11 drivers by win32

Samsung 870 EVO 2TB SSD

Windows Vista Ultimate SP2 x64

I may try UEFI at a later date with UEFIseven, but for the time being I am using Legacy boot with no problems. Windows Vista/7 also do not properly turbo the P & E Cores, however enabling High Performance in the BIOS simply makes the cores turbo up constantly so it runs great with no performance issues. I dualboot with Windows Server 2012, which does turbo the cores properly (and has drivers for everything, including ethernet).
My Machine: (Dell Precision T3610 Workstation) [Intel Xeon 2667v2 @3.30ghz, 48 GB RAM, GeForce GTX 980ti, 120 GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD, two 1 TB Western Digital HDDs, Windows Vista Ultimate SP2]
Ryan
Eclectic Owner

United States of America

Re: Windows Vista on the Intel Alder Lake Platform

Post by Ryan »

Thus, the Haswell Time Distortion Paradox has come to an end.
(Precision 3610) Xeon 2667 V2 | 32 GB RAM | EVGA GTX 970 SC | SU650 240 GB (Vista Exkern) | 840 Pro 256 GB (Vista Ultimate/10 IoT) | 8 TB storage
(Latitude E6530) i7-3740qm | 16 GB RAM | HD 4000 | 870 EVO 500 GB (Vista Ultimate/10 IoT) |2 TB storage
ruslanshchur

Ukraine

Post by ruslanshchur »

WARNING for those who want to build a modern Vista PC: do not buy Alder Lake without E-cores, as the Haswell issues did not gone with that

https://msfn.org/board/topic/183939-windows-vista-on-alder-lake-system/?do=findComment&comment=1246107
Deleted User 253

Post by Deleted User 253 »

WinClient5270 wrote: 19 Feb 2023, 23:49 My partner and I just built an Alder Lake system. I installed Windows Vista Ultimate x64 SP2 with the Extended Kernel and it works great! There are absolutely no drift-like behavior as seen on Haswell (4th gen) thru Tiger Lake (11th gen). Here's a screenshot:

Just like Windows 7, the processor cores do not show up in Device Manager, however it is recognized in System Properties. Ethernet drivers are also currently unavailable, however since I am friends with win32 and speak to him on a regular basis, I asked him if he could possibly get the ethernet drivers working. He said he would have to add functions to NDIS & ntoskrnl, but he could do it at a later time. Right now, I use USB wifi which works fine but I could just install a Vista-compatible PCI ethernet card if I wanted to.

Specs:

Asrock Z690 PG Riptide Motherboard

Intel Core i7 12700KF

32 GB RAM

NVIDIA GeForce 980ti GPU w/modded 398.11 drivers by win32

Samsung 870 EVO 2TB SSD

Windows Vista Ultimate SP2 x64

I may try UEFI at a later date with UEFIseven, but for the time being I am using Legacy boot with no problems. Windows Vista/7 also do not properly turbo the P & E Cores, however enabling High Performance in the BIOS simply makes the cores turbo up constantly so it runs great with no performance issues. I dualboot with Windows Server 2012, which does turbo the cores properly (and has drivers for everything, including ethernet).
Great Job On This Much Needed Project @Winclient You Really Are The Vista Guru Of The Modern Age And Hopefully Will Have More Great Projects In The Future
Last edited by Deleted User 253 on 09 Jul 2023, 03:14, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Windows Vista & Server 2008 R1”